Organizing NCJW|LA’s RALLY TO SAVE ROE on January 19, 2017
As a member of the National Council of Jewish Women, Los Angeles Advocacy Committee, I’m leading the effort to organize the RALLY TO SAVE ROE: BECAUSE ABORTION IS YOUR CHOICE, NOT THEIRS!
On the eve of the inauguration, the National Council of Jewish Women Los Angeles (NCJW | LA) and 25+ co-sponsoring organizations will lead the Rally followed by an on the spot Advocacy Training to defend women’s reproductive rights in America. In the face of an uncertain political climate, the Rally will demonstrate our commitment to upholding the right to abortion that was established 44 years ago in the historic 1973 Supreme Court Case, Roe vs. Wade. In addition, the event will provide a training to give participants the tools to put their beliefs into action in their own communities.
The growing list of co-sponsors include:
* National Council of Jewish Women, Los Angeles (host)
* ACLU of Southern California
* Anti-Defamation League
* Black Women for Wellness (BWW)
* California Coalition for Reproductive Freedom (CCRF)
* California Latinas for Reproductive Justice (CLRJ)
* California NOW
* California Women’s Law Center
* City of West Hollywood
* City of West Hollywood, Women’s Advisory Board
* Congregation Kol Ami
* Feminist Majority Foundation
* Hollywood NOW
* L.A. for Choice
* Los Angeles City Councilmember Paul Koretz
* Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl
* NARAL Pro-Choice California
* National Health Law Program (NHeLP)
* Planned Parenthood Los Angeles
* Planned Parenthood Young Professionals
* Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism (RAC/URJ)
* Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice (RCRC)
* San Gabriel Valley NOW
* Temple Israel of Hollywood
* Temple Emanuel of Beverly Hills
* Together We Will, Los Angeles
* Women’s Reproductive Rights Assistance Project (WRRAP)
The January 19, 2017 rally will begin at 5:30 p.m. at NCJW | LA (543 N Fairfax Ave) with an outdoor gathering that will feature notable speakers, practical calls to action, and inspiring performances. Following the rally, an indoor Advocacy Training will take place from 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. and will aim to give participants the tools to take action. While the recent election has left many feeling hopeless when it comes to defending their rights, this training will provide next steps for those who will not sit idly by and watch as those rights are endangered.
If you want to become involved or to cover the Rally to Save Roe as a journalist, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or learn more HERE.
RALLY TO SAVE ROE PRESS:
Listen to my Feminist Magazine Radio Magazine interview about the Rally to Save Roe with Sandra Fluke and Laura Jimenez HERE!
Read Living Out Loud’s coverage HERE!
Sci-Fest LA and Light Bringer Project Join Forces for The Tomorrow Prize and The Roswell Award Short Science Fiction Writing Competitions
Sci-Fest LA and the arts and education nonprofit, Light Bringer Project, have joined forces to host the 2017 short science fiction writing competitions, The Tomorrow Prize for Los Angeles County High School students and The Roswell Award for adults worldwide. Submissions are now open for both competitions. This is the third year of the competitions, and I am once again directing them. The winners will be announced at LitFest Pasadena in May 2017. More information will be announced soon!